09 December, 2008

the way we age now

the first time i noticed (and loved) the softness of my grandmother's skin, i was five years old. i was running about the apartment, refusing to take a bath, hiding behind the lacy white curtains by the living room veranda that smelled like sticky dust. in the instantaneous moment when my grandmother reached for me and i reached out for her, my fingers met her arm - met the fragile epithelial layers coating her vessels and bones like a muslin coat - and i reeled in shock at the pale, sweet softness. in the bath, i rubbed at my skin, threw water over it, willed it to roll into the same smooth suppleness. it stared at me, yellow, rough, and young, scarred with the dirt of my exploits.
sometimes, at church, or beside her in the taxi cab, i would tug at her sleeve and creep in my fingers to get a stroke of the lush peach of her arms.

four years ago, my grandmother decided to stop dying her hair. my uncle, the cool car designer living in turin, had informed her it was all the rage, in europe, to look old and wisened, and her locks fell white and clean, sparkling like dusty christmas snow by her gucci glasses and ferragamo scarves.

once, i'd learned in a whisper from an adjacent room that my grandmother was four months pregnant with my mother on her wedding day. she had hid her belly with the folds of her gown, bandaged herself into thinness. my mother was born premature, tiny. my grandmother always blamed herself.
i think of this as i wish her goodbye, press my face into the plush rose of her smell.

i don't know why i am writing this now, except that i just read a beautiful and important essay by Atul Gawande called the way we age now, and i feel like i want to remember what it really means to grow old. not to decompose, to find our cells slowly pulling apart, but to more fully understand beauty, and wiseness, to collect experiences in our pocket like small pebbles we can rub with the deep flesh of our thumbs.

5 comments:

Nichole said...

Oh thank you. I have recently been more than annoyed with our society's view of beauty and how it almost never includes the aged population. Since when are wrinkles something to detest? Why is aging rejected by Americans as a whole? Denying the beauty of age cripples us. When we can't see the processes of life, including aging, we are missing out. I love how you've expressed this thought in such an eloquent way.

my ghostwriter said...

Lia, this is so beautiful. I have similar memories of my grandmother that when I read this, it really struck a chord. You're lovely.
xoxo

Michelle said...

Are you certain you want to go into art? Wouldn't you rather be a writer? You are so wonderful at it.

J McO (change later) said...

Lia, I echo the sentiments of those who say your writing is beautiful. I wish I had clear memories of my grandparents.

I'm going to have to take more time to read the rest of your blog, which I admittedly forgot existed.

Liz Lambson said...

I just want to echo these comments and say that I didn't know what an amazing writer you are. I'm really floored and inspired by you.